Welcome to Bug Club Phonics!
Dear Parent or Carer,
Our school has recently acquired a reading programme called Bug Club Phonics that we’d like to share with you.
Below you will find key information about the scheme and how you can get involved. We hope that you and your child will love these books and enjoy reading them at home.
Learning to read
Your child’s school has chosen to use the Bug Club Phonics programme to help your child learn to read. The programme follows an approach of synthesising phonemes associated with graphemes a child sees; or put another way, learning to read by blending the sounds associated with the letters a child sees. The programme is the product of extensive research on the best way to teach children how to read.
The reading books your child brings home are designed to support them in practising and consolidating the learning they have done at school. They also enable children to experience the pleasure and pride of reading their own books.
All the books in Bug Club Phonics have been finely-levelled to ensure that all children can read books at exactly the right level for them. What’s more, there are online versions for every printed title and a personalised website for each child.
Using the printed books
Inside every Bug Club Phonics printed book there are notes to help you make the most of reading with your child.
Inside front cover: there are suggestions of things to do before your child starts reading, such as saying the sounds and practising blending them to make words as well as things to do whilst your child is reading to you; for example, checking their understanding of the story or information on the page.
Inside back cover: the activities here are to help your child consolidate what they have read and increase their fluency.
- Phonics Glossary
- Bug Club Phonics Sound Board
- Click on the letter or combination of letters (graphemes) to hear their sounds (phonemes).
- Bug Club Parents’ Slides
- Guide to Bug Club book band
- Parents guide to using Bug Club
- A simple step-by-step guide that shows parents how to access Bug Club Phonics games and eBooks at home.
- More support for parents.
- We have created a Grown-Ups’ Area in ActiveLearn Primary where parents and carers can get advice on how to help their child at home. This information is accessed via the ‘Grown-ups’ tab on the child’s homepage.